Elisa Talis_Your Teaching Practice Blog

Q.) Can you think of a bedtime ritual that you have used effectively with your own children and/or the children in your care? What was it? How did it make the child feel about going to sleep?

A.) Oh yes, definitely. When I was a child I loved when my Mom or Dad would read to me before bed. A good story being read in an animated fashion by my parents would set my mind at ease and allow me to rest easier. While I use this method with the children in my care, I have found that music can be just as effective and relaxing. There are a few albums of classical standards played with children’s instruments such as xylophone and recorders that my students have really enjoyed. Another thing I have used recently is scent therapy. Obviously having incense in a classroom would not be a good idea but a single scented candle along with a powerful liquid diffuser with a lavender scent gets me many compliments from the children and seems to put them to ease for naptime.

Q.) Take time to consider each child in your room. What are his/her sleep patterns like? How do they prefer to fall asleep? What is their mood generally like when they wake up?

A.) I think a child who cries frequently during nap time is expressing a sense of anxiety about being left alone without their parents for class. I don’t think it means they love their parents any more or less than children who do not cry during drop-off; I think the children who cry may be feeling more anxious about school. If you are going to work with very young children, then crying during drop-off time is a part of the job. I think it is best to approach the children who cry with a sense of compassion while also assuring them that they are in good hands and the day ahead will be fun while at the same time being cautious not to give less time to the children who do not cry. Sometimes I find that children who do not cry during drop-off are just as anxious as those who do cry; they just may be better at suppressing their outward emotions. With that in mind it is best to try and give each child your time and attention and be attentive to their needs.