Elisa Talis_Your Teaching Practice Blog

Q.) How do you feel when a child has a tantrum? What do you say or do? How does this make the child feel?

A.) I think if someone is going to be a teacher or daycare instructor for young children one of the first things they have to prepare and accept is that children are going to have tantrums. If screaming fits and crying is something that makes you impatient then you may want to rethink your career choice. If a child has a tantrum I very gently take them aside and with a smile and a soft voice I assure them that they did not do anything wrong, no one will be mad at them, and I certainly will do my best to make sure the other children are not made aware. Children often can feel nervous or defensive if they’ve thrown a tantrum in front of themselves and others so when you provide calm reassurance that usually helps their anxiety about the situation.

Q.) What might explain some parents’ attempts to leave without saying goodbye? What are they feeling? How do you feel when parents leave that way? How do the children feel?

A.) Unless the parent is just in a hurry (or unless they are just inconsiderate) I have found that parents that do this usually know that goodbyes are tough for their children and are trying to make a point that they’re not leaving forever or leaving their child behind, but that school is a normal part of the day and something the child will have to get used to. Parents that do this often feel bad about having to leave this way, and when I have witnessed it I admit that I feel a bit badly for the child too. But the point of it is that eventually, the child will understand what a daily schedule is like and how they should respond to it. It may take a while, but they will eventually come to understand that they get dropped off in the morning, their parents are not leaving them alone, and when school is over their parents will pick them up to bring them home.

Q.) What are the general attitudes of the parents you encounter at the daycare? Do you find that many are upset to leave their children there? Are there varying degrees of stress and frustration among certain parents/guardians?

A.) I can definitely say that there is a wide spectrum on parents in daycare. Some are more open than others about how much stress they are under and will openly talk about how they are grateful to us for caring for their children. Others are aloof and do not seem to put forward many emotions when dropping off their children. Obviously, daycare is a huge part of modern society, and not every parent is going to be thrilled with the prospect of leaving their child alone the entire day. I try to be empathetic and understand the various life scenarios that each of them has,

Q.) Would you describe yourself as a healthy person? How does your approach to nutrition influence how and what you teach your children about healthy eating?

A.) This is such an interesting question when put in the context of classroom eating habits. When I was a student they gave us things like jello, soda, and processed frozen foods for lunch. As time has gone on and more nutrition information becomes available, it seems that schools and daycares have adopted a menu that emphasizes healthy food options. Water and milk instead of juice. Fresh fruit and vegetables instead of syrupy fruit cups. Diet is incredibly important to me and I also like to teach the children that these healthy alternatives are imperative to a good learning environment.

Q.) Take time to consider each child in your room. What are his/her schedules like? How do they do when naptime is announced? Are they opposed to falling asleep? What is their mood generally like when they wake up?

A.) I think a child who cries frequently during nap time is expressing a sense of anxiety about being left alone without their parents for class. I don’t think it means they love their parents anymore or less than children who do not cry during drop-off; I think the children who cry may be feeling more anxious about school. If you are going to work with very young children, then crying during drop-off time is a part of the job. I think it is best to approach the children who cry with a sense of compassion while also assuring them that they are in good hands and the day ahead will be fun while at the same time being cautious not to give less time to the children who do not cry. Sometimes I find that children who do not cry during drop-off are just as anxious as those who do cry; they just may be better at suppressing their outward emotions. With that in mind, it is best to try and give each child your time and attention and be attentive to their needs.

Q.) What do you want to teach children about their bodies while they are learning to use the toilet or getting dressed?

A.) I am not sure if it is a daycare instructor’s or teacher’s role (or their place) to teach other people’s children about the anatomy involved in bodily waste removal. What I do think is important is that the children are made aware of the potential hygiene issues involved with urination and defecation. I try to teach them that the waste expelled is natural and healthy but that it needs to go in the toilet. If they have an accident I tell them that we have to clean the area as much as possible because urine and feces carry germs that can make them (or other children) sick. This is usually a good opportunity to assist or supervise the proper wiping of the genital/anal area. Most importantly is that I teach them that washing their hands thoroughly when they are done is crucial and cannot be skipped or rushed. I have shown children how to apply the soap, work up a lather, spread it throughout the fingers, thumbs, and wrists, and then wash and rinse vigorously for 45-60 seconds. I try to make it fun by singing songs like “Happy Birthday” or “Twinkle-Twinkle Little Star” so that the children have an idea of how much time they need to lather and rinse.

Q.) What is the emerging role of technology in the classroom, especially as it pertains to small children? Is there any role for technology, and if so, why?

A.) In keeping in with the theme of the last post, so many of today’s students are now raised with tech devices such as tablets and smartphones from a young age. The technological devices inform their learning style, so teachers are encouraged to utilize as many educational tools and add-ons as possible in their lesson plans as a way to engage with their students. Ways in which teachers can introduce interactive content into their lessons from a variety of different sources. These examples can include interactive slides, maps, posts, comics, quizzes or posts.